Quantum Of The Seas Promises To Set A New Standard For Cruiseship Innovation
Written by: Cruise News
April 16, 2013.
At a press event in New York this morning, Royal Caribbean unveiled the Quantum Of The Seas in a fun presentation featuring the ship’s Godmother Kristin Chenowith. And once again, Royal Caribbean has raised the bar for cruise ship innovations, with several stunning announcements. Quantum Of The Seas is still 18 months from entering service, and this usually means details about the ship are announced a little at a time so as to keep the public interested. Therefore the amount of information released this morning was surprising.
The rundown of things revealed:
North Star - This is an enclosed viewing pod holding 14 people which is connected to a lifting boom (crane) which will rise above the ship offering sweeping views as it swings out over the side, 300 feet above the sea.
SeaPlex - An indoor multi-use facility which will have basketball, volleyball, roller skating, and get ready…..bumper cars and a circus school!
Two70 – A three-story high public room featuring aerialists and other live performers. Located at the back of the ship, Two70 will feature floor-to-ceiling glass walls which allow ocean views in the daytime and become projection screens for shows at night.
RipCord by iFly – This venue is forward and above the ship’s lone Flowrider in a sewing machine shaped area. It is a skydiving experience at sea with the guest dressed in skydiving gear as they ‘fly’ over a column of hi-speed air.
Music Hall – A two-deck high music venue for live music and shows, plus billiards using the self-leveling pool tables first introduced on the Radiance-class ships.
Studio Cabins - These cabins are designed for solo cruisers and the Quantum will have 28 of them. The big news is that 12 of the solo cabins will have balconies. The other 16 will be inside cabins.
Virtual Balconies - Quantum Of The Seas will feature 373 inside cabins with live views of the sea on a big screen ‘balcony’ on the inner wall. This was admittedly something they ‘borrowed’ from Disney Cruise Line and their virtual portholes.
Additional plans announced include Royal Caribbean standards such as the adults-only Solarium, an outdoor pool, an indoor pool with magrodome roof, H2O Zone kids’ water park, rock climbing wall, the previously mentioned Flowrider, and of course the Adventure Ocean children’s program and Royal Babies and Tots Nursery.
- ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL CELEBRATES DUAL MILESTONES FOR QUANTUM OF THE SEAS AND ANTHEM OF THE SEAS August 2, 2013. Excitement was in the air at the...
- Royal Caribbean Announces Itineraries for Quantum Of The Seas Inaugural Season May 22, 2013 With more game-changing “firsts at sea” being...
- ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL REVEALS GROUNDBREAKING QUANTUM-CLASS SHIPS April 16, 2013. Building on a legacy of more than...
- Quantum Of The Seas To Feature “Mamma Mia” Broadway Show November 28, 2013. Royal Caribbean International – the first cruise...
- Royal Caribbean’s Anthem Of The Seas Will Offer Most Advanced Cruises In Europe & Caribbean February 10, 2014 – Royal Caribbean International has announced that...